Is your family ready to head back to school? Kansas Citians will be packing backpacks with some sweet deals over Missouri’s annual tax-free weekend!
The state’s annual back-to-school sales tax-free shopping holiday begins at 12:01 am on Friday, August 2. It ends at midnight on Sunday, August 4.
Missouri’s typical 4.225% sales tax will not be assessed on back-to-school purchases during the holiday. Qualified items include school supplies, computers, clothing and more.
The finer details:
- Clothing — items with a taxable value of $100 or less, not including accessories
- School supplies — not exceeding $50 per purchase
- Graphing calculators — not to exceed $150
- Personal computers — not to exceed $1,500
- Computer accessories — not to exceed $1,500
You do not have to be a Missouri resident to enjoy the tax holiday. Simply shop on the Missouri side of the state line! Or, enjoy the tax break online! Purchase any of the qualifying items, complete the transaction and pay in full before the tax holiday deadline. Delivery can occur after the holiday.
Note: some cities and counties surrounding the KC metro choose to not participate in the tax-free holiday! Be sure to check before you shop! More information is available at the Missouri Department of Revenue website.